Restaurants on the Uetliberg
In 1210, Uotelenburg was mentioned for the first time, named after Uotilo, the later Bavarian Duke Odilo, who gave Uetliberg its name. In 1267, the Uetliberg was supposedly destroyed by Zurich natives under Rudolf von Habsburg following the Regensburg feuds. In 1812, the Uetliberg watch tower was erected.
In 1815, the former watch tower became part of a restaurant and tavern on the Uetliberg. In 1838, Friedlich Bluntschli acquired the summit area and let the Zurich architect Johann Caspar Breitinger build the first spa. In 1840, Friedrich Beyel opened the Uetliberg inn and spa. In 1872, the Uetliberg rail society was founded and, a year later, the hotel owner Caspar Fürst bought the inn. The Uetliberg rail opened in 1875. The existing inn was expanded and a hotel was build to the north of it. In 1894, the observation tower was built. more
In 1920, the Uetliberg railway was shut down. Two years later, the newly created Zurich-Uetliberg rail company took over control. In 1923, electrification was implemented in the railway line to Uetliberg. In 1927, the Uetliberg Hotel was taken over by the city of Zurich and the ETH University Forest was built. In 1935, the Niedermann brothers, both big butchers in Zurich, acquired the hotel. It was discontinued in 1943.
In 1953, the 75-meter-high television transmission tower was built, which first only did experimental broadcasts. In 1954 the Alt Uetliberg ski jump was built. In 1967 the railway company took over the Gmüetliberg restaurant. In 1968, a 132-meter-high transmission tower replaced the one from 1953. In 1968, the Eichbühl cemetery was completed, an important work of Swiss landscape architecture. In 1973, the hotel became the possession of Karl Steiner. The railway company of Zurich-Uetliberg and the Sihl valley rail company merged to form SZU. In 1983, the Union Bank of Switzerland bought the UTO KULM mountain inn.
In 1990, the lookout tower was replaced by a new construction. In 1999, the Grison Giusep Fry bought the hotel with a lookout tower.